When symptoms appear just after holidays, out of home, indoor air pollution is a possible cause, especially if an allergy has been eliminated. This can be an element of the "SICK BUILDING SYNDROME". It is not confined to slums, and can appear in the poshest of dwellings.
The key causes of indoor air pollution are :
- Cigarette smoke
- Biological pollutants, especially molds
- Carbon monoxide (CO)
- Ozone (O3 ) when in excess*
- Nitrogen oxides (from burning wood)
- Sulphur oxides (from burning coal)
- Perchlorethylene (dry cleaning)
- Particulate matter (from Diesel & tar)
- Outdoor pollution, through non-controlled bidirectional ventilation
MORE THAN 80% OF OUR LIFE IS SPENT INDOORS
* Ozone, in the upper atmosphere, shields the earth from the sun's UVs. At ground level Ozone can increase susceptibility to lung infections.